Dental SealantsDental sealants help to fight tooth decay by preventing dental plaque from forming in areas that may be hard to reach with your toothbrush.
Dental sealants are used when the naturally occurring plaque is not removed from the teeth with regular brushing and flossing, it will combine with bacteria and the sugars and starches from your diet to form a type of acid that is harmful to the teeth's enamel. Once allowed to damage the enamel, it can cause tooth decay and cavities.
Dental sealants are a thin layer of plastic coasting that are applied to the chewing surfaces and grooves of the back teeth to better protect them from tooth decay. The sealants work to prevent dental cavities by keeping bacteria and debris from entering into these grooves and crevices.
The sealants can either be clear, white or tinted to obtain the most natural appearance possible. No one will be aware of the sealants, as they are virtually invisible, so you are free to smile and laugh without worrying that someone will notice dental work in your mouth.
Dental Sealants ProcedureThe process of applying dental sealants is fast and easy. There is no pain or discomfort involved. First, your Polar Dental professional will begin by thoroughly cleaning your teeth. Next a special gel solution is placed on the chewing surfaces of the teeth for a couple seconds. This solution is designed to help the dental sealants adhere better. After a few seconds, the solution is removed and the tooth is washed off and dried. Your dentist will then apply the dental sealant to the tooth and it may be cured with a special light to help it harden. It will take about one minute for the dental sealant to form into a protective shield against future decay.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants will effectively protect the areas where food, bacteria and plaque love to collect in and cause tooth decay.
- Dental sealants are cost effective, at approximately one third of the cost of a dental filling and are covered by most insurance agencies.
- Back teeth such as molars, are harder to reach and are more likely to collect plaque, protecting these areas strengthens the teeth against cavities.
- Dental sealants are great for children, teens and adults alike who desire to protect their teeth against the harmful effects of tooth decay.
- Dental sealants not only save time and money, but they are most importantly a preventative treatment. Once tooth decay is allowed to form it can permanently damage the tooth.
- Dental fillings are not permanent and may need to be replaced over the years. Also once the tooth is drilled and filled, the tooth becomes a little weaker.
Effectiveness of Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants are highly effective and have been proven to significantly reduce the occurrences of tooth decay. However, dental sealants are no substitute for regularly maintain oral hygiene. Your teeth will be better protected with sealants, not invincible. Brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing at least once a day is imperative to ensuring your oral health remains in good standing.
- Chewing sticky or especially hard foods is not recommended for patients after the application of dental sealants. With a healthy diet and consistent proper oral hygiene, your dental sealants can last anywhere from five to ten years. Your Polar Dental specialist can will check these sealants with every routine cleaning to ensure their effectiveness. If a sealant is no longer in place, it can easily be reapplied.
- Dental sealants are especially effective for children with newly developed molars who may not have gotten the hang of tooth brushing just yet. By protecting the teeth that are harder for them to clean on their own, you ensure less chances for the formation of cavities at a young age.